Monday 9 January 2017

Reading challenge - Back to the Classics Challenge

When I first started blogging over at http://justaddbooks.blogspot.co.nz/ it was because I had set myself a challenge of reading 12 classic novels in a year. I think I managed about seven, ultimately.

But the unintended consequence of that idea was that my teeny wings stretched slightly and I started books blogging semi-regularly.

As part of my quest to embiggen my world this year, I went poking for reading challenges, and found the one above, hosted over here at https://karensbooksandchocolate.blogspot.co.nz/ and my brain went "a ha!" here is a place to start!

So I read over the rules and categories, and I'm aiming for 12 reads. Here they are, with their attendant categories:

1.  A 19th century classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899.
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

2.  A 20th century classic - any book published between 1900 and 1967.
Howard’s End by E M Forster

3.  A classic by a woman author.
Middlemarch by George Eliot

4.  A classic in translation.
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat

5.  A classic published before 1800. Plays and epic poems are acceptable in this category.
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

6.  A romance classic.
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

7.  A Gothic or horror classic.
The Woman in White by Wilke Collins

8.  A classic with a number in the title.
Fahrenheit 451

9.  A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title.
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

10. A classic set in a place you'd like to visit. It can be real or imaginary:
Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell

11. An award-winning classic.
The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber (Hugo winner, 1965)

12. A Russian classic. 2017 will be the 100th anniversary of the Russian Revolution, so read a classic by any Russian author.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

That's ... a list of books! See how I go, anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment